Thursday, June 1, 2017

Book Review: The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

“’It is the time you have wasted for your rose that makes your rose so important.’
‘It is the time I have wasted for my rose—’ said the little prince, so that he would be sure to remember.”
I sat down a couple of days ago and decided to spend some time with a small, adorable book called The Little Prince. It’s one that I’ve heard about many a time but just never made the time to get my hands on and read. After seeing an ad for Netflix’s take on the book, I decided to finally make it a priority to read. And oh boy. I was in for a treat. 
Like much of the children’s lit I’ve read, The Little Prince was absolutely magical. The Little Prince, as he’s referred to, is one of the sweetest characters I’ve ever read, and his adventures involve innocent encounters with weird adults that make trenchant observations on the human condition. 
A moral parable in the largest sense, The Little Prince also features enchanting illustrations that only serve to enhance the beautiful images created by Saint-Exupéry. I cannot get enough of the charming blue consuming the cover. 
A talking fox. An arrogant flower. A shifty snake. A lost pilot. The characters in this short story are absolutely delightful to read, and though their connections aren’t immediately apparent, their friendship with the Little Prince ultimately ties them all together. Friendship acts as one of the central themes, and although the Little Prince makes tons of friends throughout, I’m still left feeling that loneliness and sadness awaits us all. Yet, the Little Prince preservers, and I think that’s what lies at the heart of this little book.

A must-read for every reader, and a pleasant way to spend an afternoon. 
5/5 Stars 

No comments:

Post a Comment